DIV, FINANCE LEADER //
CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER //
VP/GENERAL MANAGER //
Seeking organizations in need of an exceptional senior executive and builder of performing teams. A resourceful and effective leader known for delivering results under any circumstance.
• Chief Financial Officer / Business Unit Leader with a strong Business Transformation DNA; in 10 years completed 3 turnarounds, a public company equity offering, and a company sale.
• 20 years P&L leadership roles with Fortune 500 & Middle Market Companies, Private Equity and Ernst & Young. Have managed Global Manufacturing, Distribution, & Service operations in excess of $1 Billion – SEC/NASDAQ experience.
• Top Tier Turnaround/CXO Advisor –Demonstrated success at leading global pursuit & delivery teams; and go-to-market strategies. Managed and sold engagements to Middle Market, Fortune 500, and Private Equity firms.
• Excellent capital market and M&A track record; developed & executed transition strategies; once closed the NASDAQ.
• Strong Global Program Manager – Expertise in selecting & motivating highly effective multifunctional teams.
• Extensive operations, budgeting and forecasting expertise; strong controllership & systems integration skills.
John Oliver has specialized in turning companies around and improving operations for more than 25 years. Mr. Oliver has served as Chief Financial Officer for private, public, and private equity backed companies up to $1 billion. He has demonstrated success at leading companies through turnarounds, restructurings, periods of stable & high growth, and eventual sale. John's expertise includes emerging businesses, turnaround management, operations improvement, due diligence and post merger integration.
John has been a CFO for two NASDAQ listed companies. He has worked in manufacturing, distribution and service operations and has a proven record of maximizing shareholder value. He has an excellent capital market and M&A track record. John once had the honor to close the NASDAQ after successfully recapitalizing his company. Mr. Oliver has served as corporate secretary for three public companies. He is known for rolling up his sleeves and focusing on the pertinent issues with straightforwardness and integrity.
Mr. Oliver's executive experience includes CFO of SkyCaddie where he led the turnaround of the entity. In 2007, he helped facilitate a $270 million sale of Microtek Medical to Ecolab. John has held senior positions at Brinks, United Parcel Service, and Ernst & Young. At Brinks Mr. Oliver helped facilitate the turnaround and NYSE spin-off of BAX Global (a multi billion transportation & logistics concern). He also helped execute Brink's roll-up acquisition strategy, and launch the company's third party logistics unit. And at Ernst & Young he directed client projects for Amazon, HP, HP Medical, Bestbuy, Sprint, & CSX
Mr. Oliver is a Certified Public Accountant; he has an MBA from The University of Southern California -Marshall School of Business, and a Bachelor of Science in Accounting from Connecticut State University
- Interim CFO/CXO management services to private equity portfolio companies, specialties include:
* Interim and Turnaround Management
* Post Transaction Integration
* Technology Integration Management
* Management Operating Systems & Workflow Design
* Operations Optimization
* Financial Due Diligence
* M&A Advisory; Carve-out / TSA Management
Industries/Sectors - Oil & Energy, ETO Equipment Manufacturing, Consumer Products, Healthcare
- Senior Advisor to Oliver Wyman’s Corporate Finance & Restructuring practice. Expertise includes turnarounds, financial restructuring, M&A, equity offerings/capital raises, and transition strategies, with a focus on global manufacturing, distribution, and service industries.
- NASDAQ Company, leading Intermodal & Logistics Company with revenues in excess of $1.5 Billion.
- Managing Director Europe GmbH – Hamburg Germany
- ***P&L leadership of European Operation – program management of turnaround & expansion initiatives.
- Vice President / Consultant – Corporate Strategy & Development
- ***Chairman/CEO’s Office - Manage corporate strategy & development, program management of turnaround, financial, & strategic initiatives.
- ***Restructured $130 million debt portfolio.
- ***Operating Model Realignment; Order-to-Cash optimization; field & back-office reengineering.
- The world's leading manufacturer & distributor of Golf Rangefinders (annual revenues approaching $100 million).
- Recruited to lead turnaround of the category leading consumer electronics company. Managed financial and operating functions including: M&A, treasury, banking, investor relations, budgeting, insurance, major suppliers & customers, procurement, supply chain, information technology, outside auditors and tax accountants.
- Completed turn-around of the entity – built a strong management team, and significant cash reserves; drove substantial improvements in operating margins, EBITDA and net income. More than doubled (2x) EBITDA Margins and Gross EBITDA increased four times (4x). Secured a multi-million dollar credit facility under favorable terms in 2009. Put in public company grade systems and processes. Drove investment banking and audit activities. Off-shored certain back office functions.
- $200 million NASDAQ manufacturer of surgical drapes, surgical & infection control devices – recruited by board as part of a succession plan.
- Instrumental in structuring a deal to sell company in 2007 for $270 million. Corporate financial leader with responsibility for growing the company via acquisition. Drove plant controller, banking, SEC and audit activities. Improved business model by integrating and streamlining European and Dominican Republic manufacturing operations.
ACTIONS PRODUCTS INTERNATIONAL (Thomas Trains)
- NASDAQ listed manufacturer & distributor of children’s toys (Thomas Trains, & Jay-Jay the Jet Plane) – recruited by board advisor & former President of Hasbro to lead turn-around and recapitalization of entity. Directed financial and back office functions including: financial control, SEC reporting & SARBOX compliance; treasury, risk management, banking & investor relations, budgeting, and coordination with outside auditors & tax accountants. Other responsibilities included: information technology, human resources, sourcing, procurement, and warehouse operations.
- Turned-around and recapitalized entity. Led the company to its first profit in 5 years; Recapitalized the company through a warrant offering; Acquired and integrated an award winning children’s furniture company; Negotiated a new ABL credit facility under more favorable terms; Enhanced cash flows by spearheading collections, supplier, quality and customer service initiatives; Off-shored certain back office functions; Partnered with the CEO to lead the company to record sales by launching over 30 new product offerings.
UNITED PARCEL SERVICE
- Service line director in a 100+ consultant – management consulting practice specializing in financial, operations, and supply chain management. Responsible for sales and management of senior consulting and logistics professionals. Launched a business process outsourcing go-to-market strategy. Client projects included validating business models, customer segmentation, rightsizing infrastructure, improving working capital management, strategic sourcing, and supply chain technology; 3PL, outsourcing/off-shoring, negotiating and implementing restructuring plans.
ERNST & YOUNG
- Managed and sold financial and operational consulting projects to Fortune 500 Companies. Client projects included strategy development, M&A, SEC advisory; PPM development & management, restructuring, post merger integration, systems integration, product rationalization, procurement, distribution, transportation and outsourcing.
THE BRINKS COMPANY
- Brinks Inc. is a $4+ Billion, Mining (Pittston), Transportation (BAX Global) & Security Services (Brinks Armored & Home Security) Company.
- Reported to Business Unit President; responsible for business development and general management functions for the unit’s third party logistics operation. Role also included financial and administrative activities pertaining to the international freight forwarding, brokerage, and third party logistics unit with operations in Europe, United States, and Asia.
- Corporate Internal Audit Manager (1986 to 1989)
- Manager of operational and financial audits for the Parent Company. Managed additional assignments for the Corporate Executive Vice President & Audit Committee. Including assisting with the launch of a foreign currency hedging and inter-company netting program to reduce the companies FX exposure; capital lease funding, and back-office off-shoring programs
KKR & CO.
University of Southern California
Connecticut State University
University of Chicago
“John is a highly capable and goal orientated senior level business executive. I worked with John, he turned a poorly managed business into an efficient, quality focused organization. He hired the key staffs, built the organizational structure, and set the business goals that allow them to be successful. He is well informed, highly focused, and a very disciplined individual.”
“John joined SkyCaddie at a very difficult time. The company had a major embezzlement and had been experiencing very acute problems. In addition the company needed to transition from the 'throw it together' start up phase to a more process oriented organization. John brought elements of process and internal controls to finance, accounting, and procurement that were sorely lacking. His leadership brought confidence back to teams that had been greatly demoralized. John's acumen resulted in the company accumulating cash reserves and opening up favorable credit facilities in the recent tight credit markets. In turn, this allowed my organization to change our mode of manufacturing from use of 'PO financing' intermediaries to engaging in direct relationships with manufacturers. This has resulted in significant cost savings and great improvements in overall supply chain efficiency. I would be happy to partner with John in any future opportunities.”
“I have worked with some of the country's best and brightest executives, and I would rank John to be one of the top executives I have had the pleasure to work with. Exceptionally bright, personable with strong business instincts, John continues to grow as a leader with ever greater achievement. I would recommend John without question to any organization. There are few people of John's caliber.”
“I had the opportunity to work with John and he is one of the best managers I have had the pleasure to know. His leadership goes well beyond his strategic vision for the business, his tactical focus and his attention to the business needs. He motivates through his respect for each employee, valuing their unique contributions and acknowledging their accomplishments. He leads by example and empowers his team to perform at their best and achieve success. Under John’s leadership we recapitalized our business and we achieved the highest operating margins the business has known.”
“I had the privilege to work with John at E&Y and UPS. John is an intelligent, focused person who always gets the job done. The teams that he built and managed are world class. He was one of the most sought after persons within and outside our organization. Without reservation, I would recommend John; he is a strong leader and the highest quality individual.”
“John makes doing the most difficult, business-critical projects fun. Building on a foundation of deep expertise in finance & operations, technology, processes and regulations, John brings an engaging, affable personality to the job. This approach enables John to motivate clients and delivery team members to engage fully, to collaborate openly, and to produce fantastic results on time and on specification. John gets the highest productivity from his entire team and delivers results on or under budget, even when budgets, resource availability, and other constraints are less than optimal.”
“I heartedly endorse John for a senior leadership position. He has continually demonstrated the knowledge and required skills to effectively lead an international organization. He has proven proficiency in financial and general management. He has successfully managed a P&L in excess of $850mm. John has proven over the 10 years I have known and worked with him that he can effectively function from the dock floor to the “C” level and the Board Room. He would be a GREAT addition to any leadership team.”
- Strategy / Planning
- Accounting / Auditing
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Turnaround Management
- SEC / IPO
- Treasury / Banking
- Supply Chain
- Manufacturing & Distribution
- Management Consulting
- General Management
- Business Development
- Avid Outdoorsman
- Skiing, Blue Water Sailing, Running, Golf
- Boy Scouts - Woodbadge - OA, Mentoring
- Travel, Investments